Windows Tips - Spyware
Error loading cdaEngine0400.dll
Problem - Error loading cdaEngine0400.dllWhen booting into Windows, the following error message is displayed.
Error loading C:\Program Files\WildTangent\Apps\CDA\cdaEngine0400.dll
The specified module could not be found.
It means WildTangent has been partially uninstalled using a spyware remover like Spybot: Search & Destroy.
If you obtained WildTangent from installing AOL's Instant Messenger 5.5 and above, and don't need the games support, then try the following solution.
The easiest way to resolve the DLL problem is to reinstall AIM with "AIM Games Support", then uninstall WildTangent in Add/Remove programs.
Warning: By uninstalling AOL Instant Messenger, you may lose your preferences.
Uninstall AOL Instant Messenger
- In Windows' Add/Remove Programs, find AOL Instant Messenger in the list, and Remove.
- Install the latest version of AIM
- In my case, it was AIM 5.5.3598
- Make sure to check "AIM Games Support"
- After the install, if you were to reboot, there should be no DLL error. (But you don't have to yet)
If you no longer want WildTangent installed, then remove it.
- In Windows' Add/Remove Programs, find WildTangent in the list, and Remove. Follow their directions.
- The next time you reboot, the DLL error should still be gone.
Background Information:How did I get to the point of getting the cdaEngine0400.dll error? I scanned my computer with Spybot, and WildTangent was in the list. After selecting Fix selected problems, the following error showed:
This application has failed to start because WDENGINE.dll was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
I decided to remove WildTangent in Add/Remove programs, and after the next reboot, started getting the cdaEngine0400.dll error.
To avoid this in the future, one should remove WildTangent with Add/Remove programs before trying to remove any of its components with Spybot.
I got the idea to reinstall AIM from the forums at net-integration.net (the post at Aug 6 2004, 09:15 AM).